Articles

Scrap metal dealer, 3 more in court for theft of railway tracks

Written by Salomé Kotzé. Posted in Latest News

Klerksdorp Record, Stilfontein – Two brothers are among the accused in a multi-million rand theft of railway tracks belonging to Transnet.

Gerhardus Janse Van Vuuren (42) who owns a scrap metal business in Stilfontein, his brother, Christiaan (35), Ellton Mostert (40) and Mario Mulanga (40) appeared in the Stilfontein Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday 3 June in connection with the theft back in 2018. The net worth of the tracks is approximately R8 million.

According to the North West Hawks spokeswoman Capt Tlangelani Rikhotso, the railway tracks were reported stolen from outside Orkney in July 2018. 

"Information was followed up by the police resulting in disruptive operations being conducted at the business premises belonging to the first accused.

“During the search of the premises, railway tracks weighing more than 130 000 kg were allegedly found and subsequently seized for further investigation," Capt Rikhotso said.

The four accused were subpoenaed to appear in court where they were charged with damaging of essential infrastructure and theft of ferrous metals which formed part of essential infrastructure.

The matter was postponed to 1 July.

 

Horror crash in Roosheuwel

Written by Salomé Kotzé. Posted in Latest News

Klerksdorp Record, Klerksdorp – A 17 year-old boy died in hospital after a horror crash in Roosheuwel last night (4 June).

Three vehicles were involved in the accident in Goedehoop Street at 18:20.

According to Col Adelé Myburgh, police spokesperson, a GWN bakkie and a Mercedes-Benz collided. “During the impact one of the bakkies overturned and landed on a Ford Ranger.”

According to her, the details of the crash are sketchy and it is not clear who was at fault. The investigation will rely on eyewitness accounts.

“The GWN bakkie was transporting five young men. All five of them, plus the driver were transported to Tshepong Hospital. Sadly, one of the teenagers on the back of the bakkie, Koketso Isaac Wolushe, passed away,” she said.

Klerksdorp Record was told that the young men worked at Checkers Hyper as trolley attendants and they were given a lift by the driver of the bakkie. This could not be confirmed.

The police are investigating a case of culpable homicide.

Klerksdorp Record production manager, Estie Venter, who live nearby where the accident occurred said it was a horrific accident. “There was a loud crash, like something exploding. When I went outside it was carnage. Injured people screamed, people rushed to help, it was terrible,’’ she said.

Rise in Corona cases in Klerksdorp  

Written by Salomé Kotzé. Posted in Latest News

 

Klerksdorp Record, web - The total number of COVID-19 confirmed cases in the North West Province as of Wednesday 3 June is 314, an increase of 44 from previously reported cases. There are 59 recoveries and still one reported death.

MEC Madoda Sambatha expressed his concern saying the mines around Orkney and Rustenburg are Covid-19 hotspots.

Most of the new cases is in Matlosana (16) and Rustenburg (15).

The Bojanala District (Rusenburg) has the highest cases at 186 with 33 recoveries and 1 death with Dr Kenneth Kaunda (Klerksdorp and Potch) at 99 with 20 recoveries. Most of the cases in this district (79) are in Matlosana.

Sambatha said just over 3 million people (actual number 3,025,199) have been screened. “This is good progress considering the total population of North West now stands at just below 4 million (3,961,698) people. Those referred for testing are 2 636. Mass screening and contact tracing remains key to prevention of rapids infection and all districts are above 90 percent contact tracing and all suspected cases are referred for testing,’’ he said. 

North-West Province’s COVID-19 laboratory confirmed cases contributes <1% to South Africa’s burden of cases. Bojanala remains the epicentre followed by Dr Kenneth Kaunda. This is because the majority of the active cases are in Bojanala Platinum district (60%; 153/255) followed by Dr Kenneth Kaunda district (31%; 79/255). Of the total confirmed cases, 38 % (120/314) are linked to clusters of cases in the mines in Bojanala Platinum (79%; 95/120), Dr. Kenneth Kaunda (19%; 23/120) and Ngaka Modiri Molema (2%; 2/120).

According to Sambatha more effort is needed to curb the disease from spreading to mining communities.

He said miners should be screened before they could start work and those who come from hotspot provinces like Western Cape, Gauteng and the Eastern Cape should be screened and tested before they start working again.

Mining companies have been urged to make sure that mine workers who test positive and their contacts are isolated at quarantine sites approved by Government. Mines that were lagging behind in terms of compliance and case management have been ordered to work with district health chief directors to ensure compliance.

 

Egpaar in hof oor gesteelde goed, onwettige ammunisie

Written by Salomé Kotzé. Posted in Latest News

Klerksdorp Rekord, web – ‘n Egpaar van Klerksdorp is op borgtog van R500 elk vrygelaat nadat hulle in hegtenis geneem is op klagtes wat verband hou met die besit van gesteelde goedere.

Polisiebeamptes het op Dinsdag 2 Junie by die huis in Elandsheuwel toegeslaan met ‘n lasbrief om die huis te deursoek nadat inligting gekry is dat gesteelde goed van die adres af verkoop word. Klerksdorp Rekord het betroubaar verneem dat veral geslote kring televisiekameras (CCTV) wat oor ‘n tydperk in Klerksdorp gesteel is, vermoedelik hier gestoor is.

Kol Adele Myburgh, provinsiale polisiewoordvoerder, het gesê dat die polisie tydens die deursoeking op ‘n groot verskeidenheid ammunisie en vuurwapens afgekom het. “Nagenoeg 30 CCTV kameras is ook in die huis gevind. Die egpaar is in hegtenis geneem en daar is beslag gelê op al die goedere. Daar was ook geen lisensies vir die vuurwapens en ammunisie nie,’’ het sy gesê.

Willem Hendrik Barnald (45) en sy vrou, Rowen (42) het op Donderdag 4 Junie in die Klerksdorpse landdroshof verskyn. Hulle is reeds op Woensdag 3 Junie op borgtog vrygelaat nadat hulle om ‘n dringende hofverskyning aansoek gedoen het.

Lt Genl Sello Kwena, provinsiale kommissaris, het die polisie bedank vir die groot sukses en sy waardering uitgespreek teenoor die gemeenskap wie inligting verskaf het wat die polisie na die huis gelei het.

UA-34805051-1 UA-34805051-1