Klerksdorp Record, Klerksdorp - The Labour Centre in Klerksdorp can only offer limited services to clients after the PC Pelser Building was closed due to a prohibition notice served on the building last week.
These notices came as a result of burst water pipes in the building that led to the structural integrity of the building being questioned and perceived to be risky for the officials and clients accessing the building.
According to the Chief Director: Provincial Operations, Sphetho Siyengo, this challenge has negatively affected services delivery at the Centre as the building is currently not accessible, making it difficult for the Department to render its full package of services.
“This unfortunate situation has led to disruption of our much needed services. However, we have put measures in place to ensure that service delivery provision continues by making use of our Mobile Offices (Busses) to service the clients.
Mine dumps may hide gold
Klerksdorp Record, Stilfontein - A new project to rehabilitate mine dumps in the area is gathering pace.
A company called Mercy Renewal Property Management (Pty) Ltd has applied for environmental authorisation and prospecting
rights with bulk sampling for gold ore, aggregate and associated minerals.
A public meeting will be held at Ngwenya Hotel on Thursday February 8 where interested and affected parties can participate and comment on the project. The meeting is scheduled for 11:00.
Gogo is turning 104
One of the city’s eldest residents is turning 104 in June and her grandson and his wife are planning a party to remember. According to Irene Kgechane they had a party when she turned 100 and now they must go big. Selinah Mammoko Seleke was born in 1920. She is staying with the Kgechane’s in Neserhof. “She still makes her own bed and can do many things by herself. We can still have a conversation with her. I take her to watch TV, but she talks to the people on the TV as she doesn’t understand why they are talking to her,” said Irene.
Bogus car salesman jailed
Klerksdorp Record, Stilfontein - A man who claimed to be a car salesman and who pocketed just under R1 million, was sent to jail for 12 years.
The North West Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena, welcomes the conviction and sentencing of Joseph Mputi (59) by the Stilfontein Special Commercial Crimes Court for fraud. He was sentenced on January 30 and was declared unfit to possess a firearm.
War on drugs, illegal firearms
Klerksdorp Record, Klerksdorp - “Operation Shanela” operations conducted in the NW netted 814 suspects for numerous crimes between January 29 and February 4.
Capt Aafje Botma, police spokesperson said those arrested include 47 for drug related offences, 20 for illegal dealing in liquor, 30 for driving under the influence of liquor, two for illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.
“Furthermore, 165 arrests were made for serious and violent crimes that included murder, for assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm (GBH) and 62 assault common and rape. Of the 814 suspects, 271 suspects were arrested during detective suspect raiding operations. Moreover, 30 suspected undocumented persons were handed over to the Immigration Officials for further processing.”
The police declared war on drugs and illegal firearms and numerous alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, a variety of drugs, four dangerous weapons, 12 cell phones, four handguns and four vehicles were confiscated.
“Vigilant members of Vryburg police station arrested a 43-year-old man at the taxi rank with 498 tablets suspected to be mandrax as well as a silver plastic bag containing substances suspected to be crystal meth.
“The suspect was expected to appear in the Vryburg Magistrate’s Court for charges relating to drugs and drug trafficking.”